sun and sea...

Hey everyone! 

In many ways, I tend to be a perfectionist... This can lead to quite a bit of frustration when it comes to art.  I have found that I sometimes need to just step back and enjoy the little imperfections that make each piece unique.  One way I can do this is by using techniques that are not exact... doing things that you just don't know how they will turn out until the end.  I find if very fun and liberating! Join me today in making some on-of-a-kind art that is fun, and looks really cool!

What you need:
Creative Inspirations Paint (any color)
Non-porus surface for mixing
Glaze Base
Mixing stick (something to stir paint with)
Glossy Paper (I like Ranger's)
Plastic Cling Wrap


Prep work:  have a piece of plastic cling wrap that is larger than your project cut and sitting out on your table.  You will need to grab it quickly, and don't have time to spend struggling with the frustratingly stubborn plastic in the middle of the project. *or maybe it's just me who is cling wrap challenged...lol!*


 Step 1: Place some CI paint on you mixing surface (I'm recycling a plastic food tray).  The amount of paint you need will depend on the size surface you are going to paint.. This technique needs to move fairly quickly, so make plenty.... you won't have time to stop and mix more once you start.

Step 2: Add some Glaze Base. I don't have any exact measurements for this, I just add some. The purpose of the glaze base is to extend the drying time... other wise, your paint will dry too quickly on the page.

*I find my glaze base in my local craft store will all the cheap acrylic paints. (Don't be confused... I'm talking the cheap acrylic paints for tole painting, not the fine art acrylic paints!)*


Step 3: Using a mixing stick (aka: toothpick, paint brush handle, spoon...whatever)  stir the glaze and paint together until completely mixed.

Step 4: Working quickly, paint your glossy paper with your CI glaze mix. At this point, it doesn't need to look pretty, just get it all covered before it starts drying anywhere.

*you can do this same technique with regular paper, but the effect is muted. I love the look on glossy paper!*

 Step 5: Lay your cling wrap on your wet paint and press. Again, you aren't going for pretty at this point. In fact, the more wrinkled it is, the more interesting the end result. Feel free to smoosh the paint around under the plastic to get rid of any brush marks and arrange the wrinkles how you like them. 

Step 6: set it aside to dry WITH the plastic wrap on it. 

 Step 7: Once all the paint is completely dry, peel off the plastic wrap. 

 You now have a one-of-a-kind beautiful paper! 

I turned mine into a beach scene card...

 If you are using glossy paper and you put on a thick layer of paint, you will even have some raised texture!




For the top of the card, I mixed some Distress re-inker into some white acrylic paint and brushed on a layer. I then added some more re-inker and added in some streaks.  The son was made by mixing some Distress re-inker in a mini mist bottle with some water and giving it one squirt directly at the spot I wanted the sun.. Just like the water, it is a one-of-a-kind look.. I couldn't get it to do that exact spray pattern again if I tried! LOL!

Paper: Ranger Glossy Paper, acetate, white cardstock,
Ink: Staz-On (Jet Black), Distress Ink (Rusty Hinge,Wild Honey)
Creative Inspirations Paint: Turquoise
Stamps: Tattered Angels "Seaside", TPC Studio "Butterfly Collage", Fancy Pants "On a Whimsey"
Other: Glaze Base

enjoy!
~Kassi


Comments