center step and circles..

Hi everyone!
I hope you are having a wonderful week!  We had a giant tree fall in our yard, so I've been spending a lot of time helping move the branches and stack our new firewood... 
but, enough about chores, lets talk creating! 


Paper: Coredinations, Die Cuts With a View, K&Co
Stamps: Inkadinkado "Beauty Stems from Here"
Ink: Archival Ink (Coffee)
Dies: Spellbinder "Label Six"
Other: Viva Decor Pearl Pen, ribbon, feather, watercolor crayons, tissue flowers

 This fabulously fun Center Step Card is super easy to make.. You can find the tutorial here.  

I used the same beyond the edge technique I share in my last post to accommodate for the stamped image being slightly larger then the nested die I wanted to use.

To color the image, I decided to play around with my watercolor crayons, however, I didn't use a base coat of gesso, so the colors didn't float around as much... this made it harder for me to fix mistakes, but easier to keep little rings from forming as the water dried. 

I added some Viva Decor Pearl Pen dots on the image for a subtle shine and a little bit of dimension. I wanted to keep this card fairly simple, but I just can't help adding a few extra details... =)

Speaking of details... To finish this card off, I tied a bow around the bottom of the card. I wanted to add just a touch of something, so I tucked a few tissue flowers behind the bow. It needed a little bit of hight though, so I tucked in a little feather. It gives such a soft finishing touch that doesn't pull focus from the main image. 

Want some of your own tissue flowers? Well, they are really easy to make!

here's what you need
Tissue paper (the kind for wrapping gifts, not noses)
Color spray (optional)
Circle die cut
Die cut machine
Paper Piercer 
Stamen
Liquid glue (or hot glue)

#1. *optional*   Spread your tissue paper out and spray with a color spray, then let dry. Here I used Tattered Angels glimmer mist  in "Dewberry". If you don't want to do this, you can just use what ever color tissue paper you have and leave it as is. 

#2. Fold you tissue paper so you have multiple layers. Because tissue paper is so thin, you can easily cut multiple layers even with the super thin dies. It makes things go SO much faster!

#3. Run your tissue paper and circle die through your die cutting machine. Here I used a circle that is 1/2 inch. I was trying for the baby's breath look. However, you can use larger circles.

#4. Separate the layers of tissue paper circles, and scrunch each one up. This give your flower dimension and texture. Reopen each circle, but don't smooth them out too much. 

#5. Using a paper piercer (or a pin, needle, or craft knife) poke a hole through the center of each circle. 

#6. Thread a stamen through the center hole of 3-4 circles. (use more circles for larger flowers to keep them looking full)
*I have the best luck finding stamen in craft stores with the cake decorating stuff. Bakers use them for the centers of fondant flowers.

#7. Gently press the circles as far up the stamen as they will go, and add a drop of liquid (or hot) glue on the back to keep them in place.

#8. When the glue is dry, flip over your flower and fluff out your petals to your liking. 

(I know this sounds like it takes a lot of time, but once you get your rhythm down, they move along quickly. I like to do this in front of the tv, and just make tons at a time, so I have them when I want them.)

Enjoy!
~Kassi

Comments