watercolor with shimmery details...

Hello my wonderful friends!

So, Altenew's challenge for July is "Weddings"...


My sister recently got married. I get to do the scrapbook, however I'm still waiting for the photo paper to come in the mail, so I can't start on that quite yet. Since I don't currently have any other weddings on my calendar, nor any old ones that haven't already been scrapbooked, I decided to take this challenge a slightly different direction. 

I was thinking about all the bridal showers that friends threw for my sister... All the friends and family who volunteered time and talents to take photos, decorate, and help pull the wedding off, not to mention all the gifts... So many reasons to send out thank you cards!!! Since I am my sister's source for handmade cards, I wanted to come up with a  quick and simple yet pretty 'thank you' card design that can easily be made in bulk. 


So, I decided to do some very simple watercoloring with a little shimmer in the details...

Step 1: I stamped the outline image of the rose with Distress ink onto watercolor paper. I used my MISTI for this for three reasons.. first, because Distress ink doesn't always stamp well with clear stamps...the MISTI lets me double stamp to ensure a good image. Second, because I'm going to stamp the flower again a little later, and I want the placement to be exactly the same. For that reason, I'm leaving my flower stamp in my MISTI until I'm all finished. Third, it makes creating multiple cards at one time quick and easy. That being said, you CAN do this without the MISTI using traditional clear blocks... MISTI just makes it easier.

Step 2: Using a water brush, I loosely colored the flower. I didn't add any extra ink, I simply dragged the brush over the stamped lines to reactivate the ink and move it around. I didn't work the ink too much because I didn't want to completely lose my defining lines... Just a quick scribble with the water brush.

Step 3: I repeated step 1 & 2 with the leaves.

 Be very cautious when coloring the leaves that you don't let the water brush touch the flower, other wise you will drag in the flower color (in this case pink) into the green of the leaves. 

 Ok... remember in Step 1, I said I kept the flower in my MISTI... Here's why...

Step 4: I stamped the flower again using VersaMark (a clear sticky ink used for heat embossing)

Step 5: Using a soft paint brush, I dusted the wet VersaMark stamped flower with Perfect Pearl. (I'm using the "Perfect Pearl" color so it will just add a pearl shine with no color, but you could do the same thing with any color)

Step 6: I gently wiped off extra powder with a soft dry cloth.

You are left with a beautiful watercolored flower with a shimmery outline.  The VersaMark is wet enough to react to the built in binders in Perfect Pearls, so no other step is really needed to ensure the shimmer stays in place. 


To finish them off, I splattered some watered down black Distress ink, stamped the sentiment, and mounted them on a card base... To ensure the card base matched my flower, I used the same distress ink as the flowers to ink around the edge of the card base. A few sequins and they're done!


You can do so many variations with this technique... It may look complex, but it is actually really  easy to get a lot of them done quickly!

Enjoy!
~Kassi 

Comments