two in one...

Hello my fabulous friends!

Well, I've made it to day 15 of the coloring challenge! 


This was my coloring for yesterday... I was planning on getting it all done and blogged yesterday, but an unexpected trip to the ER kinda put things on hold...


The colors are inspired by the Altenew Inspiration Challenge for March....


Pretty colors, right? 

 I wanted to use them, but not as individual colors... So I used yellow as my base color and the orange and red to add depth and shading to the flowers.. I'm really liking the variations of this color combo that I've been playing with lately! So pretty!

I finished the coloring today and turned it into a simple card... 
 Stamps: Altenew Peony Bouquet, Oriental Orchids
Ink: VersaMark; Distress Ink Hickory Smoke; Distress Marker Hickory Smoke; Zig Clean Color Yellow (050), Light Brown (061), Deep Red (260), Olive Green (043), Mid Green (046)
Other: Bristol paper; Clear embossing powder

I started by stamping the flowers and leaves with VersaMark onto bristol paper, then heat embossing with clear embossing powder. Because this arrangement is made up of 1 flower (stamped twice) and 1 leaf spray (stamped 9 times), this involved a lot of masking.. I would stamp and emboss one image, then mask and stamp the next, then remove the mask to emboss... then repeat. It sounds really complicated, but it really doesn't take a whole lot of time.


Then it was on to coloring... At first I was just going to use two colors for each flower (Light Brown and Deep Red)... The Light Brown turns into a muted orange-y yellow when mixed with water, so I was using that as my yellow, then the Deep Red for the shadows, and the mix in between was orange... But I ended up wanting brighter flowers so I added some Yellow in there too. 

I like the blend of colors and the brighter pop of the Yellow mixed in. 

The darker flower has more of the Light Brown, as that was the one I colored first. The lighter flower has more Yellow than Light Brown. It's amazing how many different looks you can get with just a few of these markers layered in different ways with different amounts of water! 


Enjoy!
~Kassi


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments