Scrapbook USA hop...

Welcome to all my wonderful friends! I'm so glad you stopped by today, and I'm glad you are joining us for the first ever blog hop for the DT of The Original Scrapbook USA Expo!  (yes, that is a mouthful. I tend to shorten it down to Scrapbook USA here...)
Web

I am so excited to be a part of this new team! For those of you who don't know what The Original Scrapbook USA Expo is, it is a fabulous expo that hits the South Towne Expo  Center in Sandy UT, and is full of a wide variety of vendors. The next one is coming in March!  If you can make it, DO! I always find great products, ideas, fun, and deals!  (I'll let you in on a little secret... All of my 12x12 Fancy Pants stamps sets that retail for around $50, I got there for under $20!)  Seriously good times! If you can't make it, you can still enjoy the blog!  We are working with companies to share great product and ideas with you!  The DT is a new thing to their blog, so we are still exploring all sorts of ideas to interest, inspire, and grow!

The best way to get to know all the talented ladies on the team is to hop on over to each of their blog’s and check out their fall crafting! I am so excited about each of these ladies! They are so talented and fun and their blog’s have some great scrapbooking and crafting ideas!
So, here is the plan - between now and Wednesday November 7th at midnight, visit each of their blogs. While on their stomping ground, leave a comment. Each time you comment on one of their blogs you will be entered to win 2 of DCWV’s brand spankin’ new Christmas 4X5 pads!!
With Christmas just around the corner these would certainly come in handy!!
Great news is that if you comment on each of their blogs (as well as at homebase) you will be entered 8 times!! woo hoo!

So, let's get started with the crafting!!!!

When I think of fall, I think of the warm colors of turning leave, the crisp smell of spices, and family. That is what inspired this.


DCWV makes paper stacks that they call "Paper Placemats".  They are stacks of paper that are 12x18 in.  Now, I'm not one who would normally use placemats... however, if you don't limit yourself by the name, you will find they are just oversized papers!  Perfect for the slightly larger home decor projects!

For this canvas I used the Autumn Inspirations stack.  I ADORE the peacock pattern!!!  (IRL, you can see the design of the paper much better!)

I wanted the colors to be softer than the original paper was, so I did some fun mixed media work...

Step 1: Cover the canvas with Gesso

Step 2: Place the DCWV Paper Placemat onto the Gesso covered cavas with the printed side facing down into the Gesso.  Use your fingers or a plastic card to smooth.  I never get mine perfectly smooth, but I don't mind the wrinkle texture, so I don't try too hard.

Step 3: Set this aside to dry completely. Overnight is good.

Step 4: Once dry, peel off the paper. Spritzing with water, then rubbing with your fingers is a great way to get off all the paper pulp.

Look.... all textured, muted, and distressed! Lovely! 

Step 5: Cover the edges... Because the pattern on the paper used cream, not white, I used a sponge to cover up all the canvas edges with a cream acrylic paint.  This gives it a nice blended look.

You could stop here, buy why?

Step 6: Working in small areas, apply a thin amount of matte Mod Podge to the canvas and press on ripped and crinkled pieces of white tissue paper. The  Mod Podge will soak into the tissue paper and make it translucent.

Step 7: Once everything is dry, brush on a coat of matte Mod Podge over the whole canvas to make sure everything is sealed.

Step 8: Once that is dry, you can gently rub a permanent ink like StazOn over the piece to highlight the bumps and texture of the dried tissue paper.  This adds to the whole distressed look.

After that, decorate as you wish!  I used a stencil and acrylic paint to add a little distressing here and there...

I wanted to highlight the peacock, so I painted it with "Fairy Dust" Creative Inspirations Paint for a clear shimmer.  I then went a little bling crazy...

I don't even want to know how many itty bitty rhinestones I glued on... It took me hours!  For some odd reason, making intricate rhinestones designs is very therapeutic.  I kinda get lost in it. 


Speaking of lost.... let's get back to the hop!!!

Andrea
Ange
Tomi Anne
Wendi
Kassi  (you are here!)
Jennifer

Visit us often and mark your calendars, our spring show hits Sandy Utah on March 22-23, 2013!

Enjoy!
~Kassi

Supplies Used:
Paper: DCWV Paper Placemats "Autumn Inspirations", canvas board
Ink: StazOn, Archival Ink, Distress Ink
Creative Inspirations Paint: Fairy Dust
Other: Crafter's Workshop "Mini Antiques" stencil, acrylic paint, gesso, rhinestones, silk flowers, raphia


Comments

  1. Wow, what a great project you created. Congrats on being chosen as part of the design team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks so much for showing how you did it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea and you have wonderful instructions, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet and different
    Congrats on the design team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love this piece! The bling peacock is amazing. Thanks for sharing how you created your background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!! Great project and love your technique!!! sooo excited to be on the team with ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the detail instructions. Your frame is simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Blog! This came out
    so lovely and love the bling used!

    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful project- you are SO creative! Very inspirational!! So happy to be working with you on the team!!
    Hugs!
    Heather P :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Peacock. Thank you for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment