white embossed watercolors...

Hello my fabulous friends!

I am so excited!

Yesterday I discovered a local scrapbook store!

(well, local meaning 3 hours away)

It's called Doodle Bugs. It is an amazing store! Tons of stamps, dies, and paper!

I found Zig Clean Color markers in open stock... Swoon!

I found a Mama Elephant die that will be perfect for my nephew's birthday card (the matching stamp set was sold out, so I'll have to pick that up later)... Pretty Pink Posh sequins... I even picked up a new Altenew stamp set! This store has tons of stuff that I have previously only seen carried in online stores. I'm super happy!

Of course I couldn't wait to get home and play with my new stamps and markers. :)

Stamps: Altenew Spring Daisy
Ink: VersaMark, Zig Clean Color Lemon Yellow (051), Pale Rose (230), Deep Red (260), Light Brown (061), Dark Brown (062), Mid Green (046), Deep Green (044), Blue Gray (092)
Other: Pretty Pink Posh sequins

I'm playing along with the Altenew Challenge again... it just so happens that the red marker I bought yesterday works great for this deep red, so I figured  I might as well.  :) 


For today's card I used a technique that involves heat embossing the images in white, then watercoloring. It's a fun way to do watercolor, and keeps your lines clean yet subtle.

Step 1: Stamp images images using VersaMark onto bristol paper, and heat emboss with white embossing powder. 

This makes watercoloring super easy as the embossed lines act as barriers, keeping the color and water from migrating farther than you want it to.

Step 2: Scribble some Lemon Yellow (051)  onto the petals and blend outward with water.
Let dry.

Step 3: Add some Pale Rose (230) into the shadows, and blend outward with water. Leave some areas more yellow for highlight and depth.
Let dry.

Step 4: Add a tiny bit of Deep Red (260) Into the very darkest shadows and blend slightly. Be careful not to over power your lighter colors... This will add even more depth.

Step 5: Color the center with Light Brown (061) and blend it out. 
Let Dry.

 Step 6: Draw a line around the outer edge of the center in Dark Brown (062) and blend with water inward. 

Step 7: Scribble some Mid Green (046) in the areas of the leaves you want darkest, and blend with water outward.
Let Dry

Step 8: To add more depth, add a little Deep Green (044) in the darkest areas of the left and blend slightly.

Step 9: Scribble some Blue Gray (092) onto an acrylic block. Pick up some ink with your water brush and paint around the flowers. Keep the areas next to the flowers darkest, and fade out to white.


*interesting note... Usually heat embossed areas resist watercolor.. however, I found that the Deep Red actually stained some of the embossed areas a little... So watch out for those reds!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Enjoy!
~Kassi



Comments

  1. Very Beautiful!! I LOVE the composition of the blooms:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! 3 hours away! Not so local :)

    And your card.. Did you see my jaw? It's totally dropped! What an amazing coloring, you're such a talent!

    Thank you for playing along with Altenew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the well deserved Altenew win:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!! I love coloring with Zig Clean Color! Thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous coloring!! Yay yay, you won, you won over Altenew! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw your beautiful card on the Altenew winners blog!! It's so pretty and had to pause and say congratulations!! Your coloring of the flower petals is awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your win at Altenew, Kassi. Absolutely Gorgeous coloring!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment