Whitewashing....

Hey everyone!

I was asked how I did yesterday's background, so I wanted to take some time today and share... However, while shooting the tutorial, I kept getting all these ideas, so I'll also share a whole bunch of variations and ideas too. =)

*a little background...  From the moment I read the announcement of Tim Holtz "Picket Fence Distress Stain, I was in love. I wanted it.  However, I haven't seen it in any stores within a 2 hr drive, and I haven't ordered it online yet, so I figured out this technique to make do.   I have no idea how the end results compare to the Distress Stain, but that is where I got this idea from.*

I call this Whitewashing...

Step 1: In a re-closable container, mix your whitewash.  I use a combination of CHEAP white acrylic paint, and Faux Finish Glaze Base. (I find it near the cheap acrylic paints.) I say to use the cheap kind because they tend to be thinner, which is good for this. I don't have an exact ratio because I think it depends on the paint you are using and the end result you want... start with a 1:1 ratio and test it out. If it is too transparent, add more paint. If it is too opaque, add more glaze base. 

*note: you don't have to use white paint. This would work with other colors, but I like to make a large batch of white.. I'll show you what I do for color in a minute.*

Step 2: Stamp your background onto kraft paper. Use a permanent ink that is waterproof. I prefer Ranger Archival Inks. They dry fast and won't smear.

 Step 3: Pick up some whitewash with a makeup wedge, and pounce it a couple times to get a thin, even amount on the wedge.

Step 4: Swipe your loaded makeup wedge across your paper. Keep your layers thin. You can always add more later if you want a more opaque look.

Allow to dry, and you are ready to go. Colored inks will show up more vividly when applied over the white (that is what I did yesterday on my card)

OK.. ready for more?

Extra 1
Resist:
After you stamp your background, stamp another image with clear embossing ink, then heat emboss with clear embossing powder. When you apply your whitewash over it, the embossed image will pop!

Extra 2
Color:
 I told you I would tell you about color.  I just make a large batch of white, then when I want color, I scoop the desired amount of wash onto a plastic dish and mix in some reinker. Here I have added 1 drop of Chipped Sapphire Distress reinker.

You can see the difference between plain kraft, whitewashed kraft, and tinted whitewash on kraft. So many possibilities!

Extra 3
Kraft Core:
Try dry embossing on your whitewashed or tinted kraft paper. Then run an emery board of sand paper gently over the raised areas. You now have a "kraft core" showing through!

Extra 4 
Tinted White:
Try doing a tinted wash over white cardstock...This one is a really light tint of Shabby Shutters Distress Ink. If you want a darker tint, just add more reinker. 

Extra 5:
 White Core

Same as concept as #3 kraft core... except  use white cardstock and a tinted wash.

Extra 6:
Tone it Down!

Got a busy/bright/dark paper that you want to tone down?  Whitewash it! You can still see the pattern, but it isn't so overwhelming.  I actually used 2 layers of wash was for this sample.

This is such a versatile technique!  Give it a try and let me know what you think. =)

Enjoy!
~Kassi

Comments

  1. Ahhhhhh- that is what you did- you are mighty clever ! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help! I will keep this under my tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just looking at different techniques and found this page on your blog - Awesome! I will definitely be giving these a try in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial. I love the idea of white washing the too bright designer paper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment