path of possibilities...

   Hello my fabulous friends, 

and welcome to all who are new!

I have a confession to make... I have been REALLY slow to jump on the 3D embossing folder wagon. I have a small collection of regular embossing folders from years ago that are just gathering dust because I don't use them. My art has changed over the years, and I just didn't see much need for embossing folders in my current style. 

Until a couple weeks ago.. 

I was contemplating updating my die cut machine with the Universal Platform, but was having a hard time justifying it since I don't use embossing folders very often. While pondering this (and let's be honest, procrastinating what I was supposed to be doing...) my brain had one of those "I wonder if...." moments. 

I've learned to listen to those "I wonder if..." thoughts; not just 'googling' the answer, but actually trying it out for myself. Working through the process. Problem solving. Adapting. Seeing where it leads. It doesn't always work out, but it can lead somewhere incredible!

This, my friends, is creativity in action. 

Stamp: Altenew Poppy Garden
Ink: Inkon3 Fadeout
Color: watercolor
Embossing Folder: Altenew Mighty Waves

Incorporating 3D embossing folders into my watercolors is an exciting challenge that I've been playing with the past week. I've still have more experimenting to fine tune the concept, but I'm loving where it's going! 



Speaking of challenges... The inspiration for today's experiment comes from the Altenew April 2023 Challenge. The colors are red and green.  Red is not my favorite color to work with (I usually avoid it when I can LOL), but challenges are meant to push us outside our comfort zone, and into the path of possibility. 

Challenge accepted!


I started by stamping the flowers in Fadeout ink onto some Arches Coldpress watercolor paper. 

I then painted over them with masking fluid. This will allow me to add in a background without worrying about trying to paint around the flowers.


Once the background is painted and texturized, the masking fluid can be removed. Taking the orange mask off is always exciting, because you get the first glimpse of what it might be when it's finished...


Painting in the flowers is my happy place! 

I've had a firm love for white backgrounds for years, but I'm now finding a sort of calm magic in having a soft background... 


I must say, I'm LOVING using 3D embossing folders to help create visual texture in my paintings! I now have a wishlist of embossing folders about a mile long... LOL!

I also have a bunch of ideas I want to try out... 

I'm sure I'll share my process when I know for sure what it is... In the mean time, I'll be continuing to experiment and follow this path of possibilities!

 I'll be back with more soon... see you then! 

~Kassi

For more inspiration, follow me on:
FacebookInstagram, and YouTube


Comments

Post a Comment