Wednesday, August 3, 2011

canvas journal...

I came across these cute canvas covered notebooks while browsing a store a little while ago. I fell in love with the style! So I picked up a cheap notebook (the kind that just has a glue binding) and set about altering it. 

(and yes, I do use and love my old fashion dip pen!)

I made a cover with chipboard, and coved one side in a piece of canvas for the inside covers. Since my notebook did not have any holes punched in it, I was free to decide where I wanted my holes. I had to do small sections of the notebook at a time with my crop-a-dile, however, I was able to keep the glue binding in tact. 

After the holes were punched, I stacked my back cover, notebook, and top cover together. I wrapped a large piece of canvas around them, and marked where the front and back holes hit.  I then punched them out with my crop-a-dile (this tool is a MUST! it punches through everything!!!). I also reinforced the canvas holes with eyelets. This will keep them from tearing or unraveling. 

A little mod podge on the front and back cover (not the spine) attaches the canvas to the outside. I wanted to use twine to thread through the holes, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used raphia.


After the basic book is put together, it is time to decorate!  I used an ink blending tool to add some Distress Ink directly to the canvas. I then stamped my image on a small square of canvas. I frayed the edges to keep them nice and soft. (canvas is wonderful for fraying!!!)  I used the ink blending tool to color in the bear... this gives a kind of blended messy look that works well with the canvas.  To give the bear a little more highlight and visual texture, I painted a layer of Carmel CI paint over the bear and added a tiny bit of Blush in the ears. 

The rhinestone and nail head design was done using this techinique

The flower was made using a design I came up with quite a while ago with my gypsy. I cut 12 separate petals out of white cardstock (6 large, 6 small), and 3 small paper flowers. I then ink and stamp both sides of each petal. Scrunching up each petal gives a lot of texture and dimension to the flower. The petals are then layered. I then stack the 3 small flowers (leaving the top one all scrunched up) and glue it to the middle of the flower to give it a nice full center.

These are so much fun, and so easy to personalize!  I plan on making more soon!

Enjoy!
~Kassi

 Paper: Chipboard, white cardstock, notebook
Ink: Distrees Ink (Chipped Sapphire, Stormy Sky, Weathered Wood, Victorian Velvet, Wild Honey, Frayed Burlap), Staz-on (Jet Black), Memento (Tuxedo Black), India Ink 
Stamps: Yvonne Albriton Designs, Inkadinkado "Lettter", Fancy Pants "From the Garden"
Creative Inspirations Paint: Carmel, Blush
Dies: Cricut "Cindy Loo", "Preserves"
Other: Enamel Accents, canvas, raphia, rhinestones, nail heads, eyelets

No comments: