chalk it up...

Hello my wonderful friends!

I hope you had a spectacular Thanksgiving (for those of you who celebrate it), and didn't get trampled (for those of you crazy enough to go shopping on black friday! YIKES!)  

I know I'm kinda on the late side with my FWF project, but hey, better late than never, right, and if I type fast, I should still be able to link up. :)

Today's card features one of my new favorite techniques I learned from Tim Holtz... It's his version of the current chalkboard craze.

The key element in this technique is Ranger's Antiquities Frosted Crystals embossing Powder. It is a clear embossing powder that when heated, becomes matte and textured... as long as you don't overheat it... if you overheat it, the effect is kinda ruined. So be careful, and watch it close!

Here you can see the difference.. The top one was stamped with a clear embossing ink, then embossed with Frosted Crystals embossing powder. The bottom was stamped with clear embossing ink then embossed with regular clear embossing powder... notice it is shiny and smooth.

So, basically, stamp your image on smooth black (or any dark color) card stock with clear embossing ink. Emboss with Frosted Crystals embossing powder being sure not to overheat. 

Once cooled, rub a piece of regular chalk over the piece. The texture of the frosted crystals will catch the chalk!

You can smear and wipe away extra chalk and dust with your fingers or a rag. 

It leaves a very realistic look and feel! It is messy, but I totally love it!

Enjoy!
~Kassi


Supplies Used:
Paper: CoreDinations, card stock
Ink: VersaMark, ColorBox
Stamps: Unity "Choose Joy with a Heart", "Strength and Dignity KOM"
Creative Inspirations Paint: Mocha Latte 
Other: acrylic paint, ribbon


Comments

  1. Your chalKboard creation is very nice! Great technique! Thanks for the instructions and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always LOVE seeing your creations! When I clicked on your FWF and your blog banner was at the top of the page, I legitimately got excited to see what you had created this time! Keep up the awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me worried that there was no FWF post. But when I woke this morning, here's this lovely née tutorial! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I hadn't seen those supplies or technique before! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely will be looking for that product. Your card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fun technique, Kassi. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted a comment earlier but not sure where it went so here goes again. Your card is really cute. The chalkboard look is really nice and looks like ya can do so much with it. I love embossing but haven't seen this powder. Will have to check it out. Tim HOLTZ makes some fun stuff. Thanks for sharing and explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an awesome technique, love the effect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used this technique for FWF card today and gave you credit! Hope that is ok! Ilove the technique!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment