a pocket full of posies...

Hello all my wonderful friends!

The other day, I was playing around with a spool of seam binding when I remembered that a long time ago I had learned how to make simple ribbon flowers. Well, I hadn't made them in ages, so I making flowers...

I have decided they are a nice thing to do with your hands while sitting in front of the fireplace. =)

Here's how to make them.

Step 1: Cut 5 pieces of ribbon to approx. the same length. Somewhere between 1-2 inches is a good place to start. (no, you don't need to be exact!)

Step 2: Thin out some Creative Inspirations Paint by mixing in water. I like to do this in small batches on my craft sheet.
 (I'm using Burnt Clay)

Step 3: Quickly drag one long edge of each piece of ribbon through the puddle of paint & water.

Step 4: Allow the paint to wick into the ribbon as it dries for a more natural look.

Step 5: If your ribbon is prone to fraying, brush a touch of thinned glue onto the edges of the ribbon. I mix Mod Podge and water for this.

Step 6: Pull out a needle and thread. Don't panic!!! This is hand stitching at it's simplest!  Use the basic running stitch (up, down, up, down) around 3 edges of the ribbon. Leave the painted edge as the one un-sewn. Leave a tail. (in other words, don't pull the thread all the way through. Leave some hanging off the back end.)

Here is what it looks like with the real ribbon.

Step 7: Sew all 5 ribbon pieces on one thread. When you scrunch them all close together, you have a cute scallop banner!

Step 8: Scrunch all the ribbon pieces tight together and tie the ends of the thread into a knot to form a ring.

Step 9: Snip the ends of the thread off, and add an accent to the center of your flower. Pearls, rhinestones, even buttons make fun centers!


Try different length ribbon strips to change the petal sizes. Try using different kinds of ribbon for different looks... I've even made these out of strips of gauze. So much fun!

Enjoy!
~Kassi


Supplies Used:
Paper: DCWV, white cardstock
Ink: VersaMark, Archival, Distress
Stamps: Inkadinkado "Elegant Flourishes", Impression Obsession "Sissy"
Creative Inspirations Paint: Tickled Pink
Other: Perfect Pearls, embossing powder, seam binding, gauze, pearl

Comments

  1. I love these flowers! Thanks for sharing how you made them! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment